Fish and Cheeps

Aye Aye Captain

The Eight Syllables

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Yeah, it's Double Cross Time

Photo Op - Had to back up a minute - - this is what a Horny Mother Cocktail did to my brain cells before we left for the day...


Well now, who can this be? This is Steve, Kodi's Boyfriend from the states along with my stowaways,Senorita Sol and Senor Hornito. They didn't have a name until today. I collect troll dolls you see and have managed to bring at least a dozen on my travels. One of which got married a few years back, complete with wedding dress & bridal party dresses made by Hortencia, she thought then and does now that Chica Catz is a Loco Gringa.The fan coral in the background is part of The Big Shell House collection.

Getting you back up to speed - Apache - Shopping - Off to the Ferry - Kodi leaning over the rail to get a photo,blue water and...



...Who is this fine young cannibal with the guitar and the shades? It’s Jorge (told ya 50% of the men on Isla are named Jorge). He has a brilliant full frontal smile, wavy hair that's beginning to thin a bit, a face full of freckles and I was happy to see he slathers on sunscreen. First Islano I've seen do that. Wonder how many times he crosses from Isla to Cancun on a daily basis? Are there others who do the same thing on the other ferries? Sing for tips, not slather sunscreen.

So ya know, as we were debarking the ferry I asked his name, he melted with a smile. I melted a smile back at him and wondered do people not ask the name of others?

{A few of Jorge's were posted in the gadget section last week so you should be familiar with his face.}

This is how Jorge makes his money, tips from generous ferry goers and comers so to speak. And I gave him more money than I should have but he sang to my heart (Jim Croce: Have to Say I Love you with a Song). In this photo he was playing a song of his own creation. He seemed to be in tune with the sound of the ocean and the swaying of the ferry - I was so into this song I could have listened forever. When he finished playing it I asked for the name of the song . It had none. I made the comment about his song being "classic guitar played in the key of J". Jorge liked that and said he would use that whenever he played it again.

The Singer from last year's ferry ride towards home sang Canta Corazon by Alejandro Fernandez as we left Isla. Melted my heart, had me in tears and has become my anthem of Isla Mujeres.


Kodi is taking photos of the water, tilting her head back to catch some rays and letting her dress sway in the breeze. We see all sorts of boats cruising through the water; an overloaded Catamaran, three fishing vessels of green, red and white and another Ultra-mar ferry making it's way towards Isla. I wave at the ferry - always wave to the ferries heading to the island. Kind of a quirk of mine. Kodi wondered aloud as I have each time I cross what makes that white spot on the ocean floor and why isn't Galveston's water this pretty? I don't want to know what makes Isla's waters so magical and I truly don't want to know why Galveston's water is so brown and fishy smelling. If you've been to the gulf of Mexico side of the ocean you know what I mean.

I am always inspired to write a song about my Isla Ferry Crossings - got the beginnings of one, Jorge has inspired me to do so - but that is another blog. Kodi points at the striations of color in the water, looking for fish, buried treasure and mermen. We listen to the music, grin at each other and I watch Kodi fall in love. One more song from Jorge and we're getting off the boat. Kodi is way ahead of me since I'm chatting with Jorge. But it's Syllable time.

Ugh. I don't like the Cancun side - it's the vacation is over - going home - reality bites side of vacation. But knowing I still have a week to go, it doesn't hurt.
See that hotel in the background? They wanted $110 US a night. Are they kidding? Playa Something, Nothing Fancy. Who wants to pay that much to smell fumes from the balcony?

This boat was parked in the same spot last summer which makes me assume the guy on deck lives on it. There's a bike, gas cans, a round table and someone peeking out of the window on the boat next door. I sure miss the dozens of old worn out boats they had when we first came to Isla parked there. History lost, boats sold for scraps.



We are SO EXCITED!! We can't wait to see Jackie and Nady. Kodi has no clue who she is looking for and goes off for a smoke. I'm looking for a woman with long curly hair and full hips and her companion with highlighted brown hair and an awesome smile. Both should be pulling a shared piece of luggage. They decided to share the cost of one piece of checked luggage. Smart move. Well hell's bells. No sign of them at McDonald's, not in the ticket booth or in line for the 2:30 ferry. No one hollering my name or running in slow motion to greet us. Did they miss their assigned van transit, get lost at the airport, abducted in the bano? Getting a bit concerned I pray and place another call to Nady, rang then went dead. It dawns on me that maybe she doesn't get service. As I light a smoke, I dial Jackie - not even a dial tone on her line. Well now, Kodi and I don't panic, they gotta be somewhere. I try one more time with Nady's number. Kodi and I decide we would wait until 3PM for them on this side then head back and wait for them at the house if they don't show. They know the name of the place we're staying so they should be safe enough. Even the best laid plans suck once in a while.

2:26PM

Catz Phone: Ring - Ring

Nady: Hello?

Catz: Hey Nady, glad you made it - where are you guys?

Nady: We're on the ferry dock.

Catz: Which ferry dock? Kodi and I are on the Cancun Side.

Nady: laughing out loud - We're on Isla Mujeres!! We got out of the van and hopped the first boat we saw. I tried to text you but my phone doesn't text here. Neither does Jackie's.

Catz: Holy Cow - you must have been on the ferry I was waving at heading to Isla. Ain't that some hot mess? Well, stay on the dock, we're catching the next ferry. See ya in twenty minutes.

Nady: Okay - we don't know where to go anyway! Girl, it's Hot over here!! Bye!

2:29PM

Catz: Kodi! WE GOTTA CATCH THAT FERRY!! (pointing to the one we just got off of)

Kodi: What's going on?

Catz: Nady and Jackie are on the other side - we passed them in the middle of the bay!! (laughing so hard I was choking!!)

Kodi: Let's Bust A U!!

Both of us laughing, getting that last drag from our smokes and running, or at least the way I was moving looked like running. The ferry was getting ready to lift the foot ramp. "WAIT!!" we both holler. Thank goodness we bought round trip tickets. That ferry was leaving on time at 2:30.

Well, back up the stairs to see the water once again. Only a few people up top this time and I spot Jorge - he spots me, opens his arms in a "What happened - you're back again" gesture.
I lowered my shades, winked at him and said with a puzzled body gesture of my own "I had to hear you play one more time!" Those within earshot looked at me, then Jorge, trying to catch the joke. Kodi and I are still giggling. I managed to say "How's this for a DOUBLE CROSS?" We're giggling again and settle in for the return crossing. It is a quiet crossing this time. Wondering how tightly Nady & Jackie are standing together in a foreign country...wondering if they too will fall under Isla's siren song, wondering, just silently wondering.

I put my soul on cruise control - losing myself to the melody from Jorge's guitar. I stare across to the woman dear to my heart and commit these words to memory and wondering how long it would take Jorge to blend a melody with these words:

Ode to Kodi
This is how you should have seen Isla a few days ago -
Crossing serene waters on a voyage to unknown sand
A place where you are free to let go
To harbors of memories if you open up your hand

This is how I know you felt about Isla two days past -
Serene, where time and beauty stands still
Life's passions break free at last
Openly as you submit to your will

This is how you will see Isla for the rest of your days -
Welcome smiles, open arms, hate cannot tread here
A cooling rain and slumber deep, your first sunrise of golden rays
An island of cultural treasure you will hold so dear


This is how you will leave Isla one week from now
With tears in your eyes, you feel as if your heart will bleed
this is true love, now your beloved
Isla Mujeres has sown her seed...
in you.

3 comments:

  1. May 6th, dont forget about us here:-))
    carl/debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...you're doing what you did to us last year...leaving us hanging and wanting more!! What happened next??

    ReplyDelete