Fish and Cheeps

Aye Aye Captain

The Eight Syllables

Friday, April 2, 2010

A Mermaid's Welcome


A Mermaid’s Welcome

Sunday March 14

Kodi and I thoroughly enjoyed our first sunrise on Isla Mujeres. I can recall many a sunrise where I cried at the sheer beauty of a simple daily fact – I’ve mourned the loss of one sunrise being the last I would see for the season and I have taken delight at every one that I have been privy to see.

We both gather our composure as we know what the day has in store for us – can you say Happy Dance Part Two? We’re already pack except for what we’re gonna wear for the day so Kodi goes in to take a shower – cold shower that is - couldn’t figure the knobs. My shower of course was a steamy piece of heaven – that’s what she gets for hoggin’ all the chocolate shampoo!! Keys in hand, we take final photos of Casa el Pio – all with a smile and head towards the main street to hail a cab.

I look three ways before crossing the street – side/side/behind – almost got taken out by a cab my first visit, the three Sol beers didn’t have anything to do with it Officer (hick)! Ask those who know me – I never get in the first cab that comes around. The one time we did that two trips ago, the cabby came and stole Bob’s stuff from our rental house cuz his door handle fell off – the sucker was already broken, guess it was his way of getting revenge. I’m still on the hunt for him but that is another report.

Cab One rolls by, empty – I wave him away. Second Cab rolls up, honks his horn and I flag him down. He has one passenger in the front already – Kodi is looking leery - -I’m feeling good vibrations. There’s a monument to The Virgin Mary on his dashboard. Amen and away we go after telling him Casa Caracol. 40 pesos. No problema. I was hoping we wouldn’t take the coastal road to the house. I wanted Kodi to see the REAL Island from an Islanders point of view. So we headed south through Colonia Meteorologica (over by The Grand Salina)where Kodi is soaking in all the colorful houses, the laundry on the lines and the little ones playing happily in the streets. All the while the Cabby is on his cell phone (cell phones on Isla, what next – Wi Fi (or as they pronounce it Wee Fee)? Making our way through the back side of Colonia La Gloria where we dropped off the first fare not far from La Gloria English School. Love and happiness for the two of us is less than five minutes away as we head towards the coastal road past Squattersville, The Dump, Big Jim’s and at last (I know where it is and my feet are swaying to an inner tune)The Shell House. Kodi treats the Cabby with a two dollar tip – he is happy, scarf’s our luggage out of his trunk, wishes us “A Happy Day” and peels off. Hope we left nothing other than the smell of Chocolate Shampoo & Naranja soap in the back seat.

Once outside the cab – we spot a white golfcart sitting in the “outside parking garage”. This must be the golf cart on loan to us From a Guy Named Jim (not our Big Jim)that Raquel the Owner has set up for us. $40 a day for three days. Good to go. Glancing up to the property we see this sign “Private Property “in Espanol. I slowy raise my eyes to our home for the week. The awe inspiring Casa Caracol – The Shell House. There are no words to describe how I felt in that instant. Not even gonna try. Let’s just say that my nut has been cracked.

2 comments:

  1. Great job as always Catz - and kudos for you setting up this blog so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Andrea -I gotta share this adventure or bust. I haven't written a complete Trip Report in 1 1/2 years - got a lot to write about but life gets in the way - so now - I'm gonna write till my fingers turn to nubs or the alarm clock rings for work!!

    ReplyDelete