Fish and Cheeps

Aye Aye Captain

The Eight Syllables

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday and The Two Syllables


Sunday March 14 - late morning

*That's Raquel and some big Dude and Jim & The Heap hidden by the trees. It's the only photo of Raquel we have. Shame, I had planned all week to get her photo but she's like the Energizer Bunny....

So it seems we were feeling like winners of the State Lottery:

Arrival to Isla: a few hitches but worth the prize.

Fabulous abode: aces.

Great company: YOU ROCK Kodi.

Golf Cart out front: Smooth Move Ex-Lax.

And Ex-Lax is a kind way of saying the shit was gonna hit the fan with that golf cart – I didn’t know it at the time that I would have one enemy on my beloved Isla.

I had made arrangements with Apache (LOVE YOU MAN) from Indio’s Beach Club to use their golf carts from Tuesday to Saturday. He cut me a fabulous deal since we were e-mailing for two months and I put my trust in him. {When I trust you and you burn me – you’ll be forgiven but the evil eye will follow you all your days. Apache, you’re safe Dude!} Apache also cut me a deal on a surprise boat trip for my Chicas around Isla Mujeres with snorkeling and a spot of fishing.

Raquel arranged for Jim from Colorado to let us use his golf cart until Tuesday. This was a last minute deal, like a week before we left. Since Raquel could be trusted with my first born, I didn’t hesitate to $40 per day for his cart. We would pay him directly on Tuesday morning $120.00 for his services.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and double grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Kodi and I were piddling around in the Baby Shell when we heard a male voice send a greeting of “Hola” from pool side. Kodi goes to check it out. I hear “Are you Catz?” She says , “No but wait a minute.” I so love my island name. I come around the corner where I was stowing my luggage and see this tall drink of water with grey hair, beige pants, white shirt, a Gringo islanders tan and a mouthful of even white dentures. You can’t tell me a smile that perfect is real.“I’m Jim. Please to meet you Catz. Is that your real name?” Quick as a whip on a horses backside, I reply, “ No, but people don’t believe my name is Beautiful when I tell them so I go by Catz.” To this he looked comical, shrugged, shook my hand and a bond was connecting. Since I was standing in the doorway of Baby Shell and Kodi was standing there as well, I invited him in to check out the inside of the shell. He said he’d always been curious to see this place. Thought of giving him a full tour but my gut said “Whoa Nelly!!” Two minutes of scoping the place Jim lead me to the golf cart. Lovingly named The Heap. The Heap was a typical golf cart with the exception of the black & grey Telluride Mini plate on the front of the roof which would come in handy when trying to locate the thing on Monday. Get this… Race Car Driver mirrors across the entire front of the inside roof. They looked like a jigsaw puzzle gone badly. In a sort of weaving pattern. They must work for Jim; he was so proud discussing them with me. Those mirrors would be a minor irritant to me. Give me one big mirror in the center or one on the left. But to each his own.

In a tone of condescension Jim tells me he’s gonna show me how to work a golf cart. Whatever Dude.

I’ve driven golf carts for years, can handle a mini-semi truck, vans, cars, boats, tricycles, bikes and horses so a golf cart…

“Here’s the reverse, forward, neutral, the mirrors, the keys, the blinkers stick so when you turn them on, remember to click them back off, the head lights are bright, the brake lights work (thank you Jesus),fill it with gas every two days, depending on how much you drive” - - -back up fella - - -we gotta put gas in your rental? WTF? “Just go to the petrol station on the coast road, tell them how many pesos you want and go. They sell by the liter, it’s easier to go by pesos”. He lifts the seat, shows me the tank is ¾ full – that’s the way he’s gonna get it back ¾ full. He ain’t Hertz but he’s trying to be. Jim is starting to stick in my craw. He’s got two bungee cords wrapped around the back seat – is that to hold the seat down? No, it’s to hold your packages. If they come up missing it’s no problem, I’ll just buy new ones cuz when you go into town, locals seem to sit in your cart while you’re off doing whatever it is you’re gonna do and the cords come up missing. I’m used to it. Well, I won’t get used to it cuz I’m planning on leaving those bad boys at home. We’re not planning to shop at Wal-Mart so the cords are gonna be using gas with the wind velocity, drag cohesion and technical ya-ya-ya. I get the keys, agree to his terms and get the combination to the rusty lock and chain. Agent Double Oh Seven, the Geriatric Years. Three sevens and there ya go. Easy enough to remember.

He lives a thousand yards from the Shell House – which house, never knew and it’s a good thing – I’ve always wanted to leave a burning bag of crap on someone’s front porch but that is so un-lady like these days. Jim said Raquel told him we are using another golf cart later in the week.

Jim: May I ask which company?

Catz: Sure. Apache from Indio’s.

Jim: Oooooooh – like he smells that bag of crap on his porch.

Catz: Is there a problem?

Jim: We’ve had words. You sure you want to go with HIM?

Catz: I have faith in Apache.

Jim: How much is he charging?

Catz: Same as you.

Jim: Oooooooh.

Something wicked this way comes…..

I ask Jim where the new Grocery Store is in La Gloria. He offered to take us there. No thanks, I know this island, I just need co-ordinates. To that he gives a frown and says if we need him, let Raquel know.

Yeah, you better run Mister. If we had only known that the Heap would be re-christened ever so menacingly The Heap O’ Shit, It would have been a totally different vacation.

Keys in the ignition, cart check, in reverse and we’re off.

“Thank you for traveling Catz Adventure Tours. I’ll be your Pilot for today. Hold on to your butts.” Kodi had to laugh. I’m in my element. We’re heading to town. Main objective: Sunday Ribs. We wave to the right at Big Jim & Carmita’s. He’s gonna kill me cuz I’m not gonna visit until later in the week.

Kodi in the passenger seat is looking like a kid who’s stolen a look at Christmas presents. I’m flooring The Heap – a whopping 28 mph. That breeze up the coast road is heavenly. Since we came a different way by cab to the Shell this morning, this is virgin territory to Kodi and an old friend to me. I point out the Dump, Squattersville, Margaritaville, the Water Plant, the new cemetery – oh watch out for topes! Don’t want you to jam your camera up your nostrils. Kodi snaps pixs of buildings and that water ever so blue. She really likes the orange house Casa Piolin (with Tweety Bird on it)and her favorite sign “Beer So Cold It Will Make Your Teeth Hurt”. We enter the colonia leading to Mango CafĂ© – they aren’t open now but we will hit it up soon. I can’t wait to try their BLTG – Bacon Lettuce Tomato Guacamole & Green Apple Sandwich. Be still my foolish heart. We see children playing in the street – can you say future speed bump? Clothes on the line, fancy houses here, concrete houses there, and I decide to do something illegal. Right before you turn onto the main road on the right there’s the white concrete fence that’s in front of the ocean. Once upon a time you could park and walk through there – had a tiny playground. Now it’s just pale blue and white benches and nowhere a vehicle should be traipsing. I Bust A U through the opening and we look like Jim Carry in Pet Detective jostling this way and that – what a rush!! We stop, take a pic or two and glorify in that ocean breeze. Dear me…am I gonna have to go in reverse to get out of here – watch for the coppers! I see an opening, take a sharp left and slow to a crawl over the massive curb. Naughtiness accomplished! Oh there’s Casa Luna Turquesa and Casa Linda. I stayed at Casa Luna Turquesa in 2006 with two Newbie Laurie and Stephanie. Casa Linda wasn’t available this trip. Shame – it would have been top notch but not to the level of the Shell. Passing the airport strip I point out Villa Tranquila which used to be La Mission been there and loved it. The new owners have done a marvelous job updating – exactly what I would have done cuz I truly wanted to purchase the place. Lots of FOR SALE signs posted along here, all over the island in fact. Seems a straggler named Hard Times has arrived on Isla so we are ready to part with our tourist dollars to make his stay a little shorter.

Instead of going toward the main drag(Rueda Medina) I stay straight on Benito Juarez ,the backside of the Naval Base to enter town. Showing Kodi the real island, not the touristy side. She is amazed that people with so little are happy with what they have. Driving past these homes in town with peeling paint, curtains for doors, hammocks for beds, three or more on a moto, kids playing with whatever is available to kick around (cans, deflated footballs) and everyone with a smile and offering waves of greeting. Kodi comments on how well mannered the kids are, how couples walk close to one another if not holding hands but mostly how pleasant it was to be somewhere where an unkind word was never heard.

LA LOMITA!! Is Ophelia closed? There’s tape on the windows and no chairs out front – please tell me she’s just closed for today. As popular as she is, surely not. I must have her Bean Soup. Can’t back up to make sure, cab behind me. We turn right on Nicolas Bravo towards Roca Mar. We’ve decided since Hortencia’s is closed today, we’d park and do some shopping on Hidalgo. Now I avoid this street as much as possible. I don’t shop that much stateside and only tolerate shopping as a part of life. Being Kodi’s first time, I put my feelings aside and join her in wild abandon. We park behind the main square not knowing until our last day that we’ aren’t supposed to park here anymore. We got away with parking here twice. Guess third would be the charm. Locked up The Heap, which was giving me a fit every time we came to a stop and tried to accelerate. I slathered on some Autan and we headed to the vendors ready to spend, spend, and spend. We exchanged money at the first cambio we came to next to The Little Bastard Club(don’t know how to say it or spell it in Espanol). $200 bucks for me – wouldn’t exchange anymore this trip, the rates sucked at 11.95 – when last year it was 14.25.

Hit up a place owned by Jorge (is every other man on this island named Jorge?) He was nice enough to let us browse without being on our heels. I looked at silver rings, one caught my eye and I committed it to memory – if it crosses my mind before we leave, I’ll purchase it. Got him from $50US to $40US in twenty minutes. Never did go back and get it. Kodi checked out rings and leather sandals. Some had Isla Mujeres written on them – none my size (ain’t that the way!) These turned out to be the cheapest and best quality sandals we found. We gave the usual promise to come back only if that toddler’s pink bike in the shop could be bought half price. Jorge laughed and said he’d cut us a deal!

I informed Kodi that real silver is weighed before they give you a price. If it is not weighed, it's not real silver, don't buy. This came in handy several times.

Our next stop was across the way at Cheapo-Fredo, an air conditioned establishment. Once you go into these places and they close the door on you – you feel obligated to buy something to cover their cost for cool air. I felt no such obligation. Cheapo Fredo was a jolly fat man, Santa’s half brother probably. He had a side kick Loose Hand Louie who kept trying to cop a feel on me – one look from these Catz Eyes and he backed away. If you wanna feel me up, get permission first or at least ask me my name. Geez. My gaze of the wares on display came to a silver Jesus on a wooden base. Jesus was made from sterling silver nails. I really liked that and thought of how much I would be willing to pay. $45US. Not gonna happen. The cross was only five inches high maybe. $25 max for me. They wouldn’t budge so I asked if they could take the Jesus off and make a ring out of it. No, but we could make a necklace. No, I don’t wear necklaces. No we won’t make this into a ring. Come back tomorrow and we will. Oh, I get it. It was Sunday. Do not mess with Jesus on a Sunday. Understood. Loose Hand Louie kept trying to talk me into getting Jesus as a necklace. Flashed the eyes again – he backed off again. Kodi was really interested in the fish bottle opener made from abalone shells. Beautiful and comical at the same time. $65US – don’t do it girlfriend. She didn’t, tempted beyond belief but it was only our second store. If you are still thinking about it tomorrow, it’s supposed to be yours. Kodi was hunting for necklaces & bracelets for her many friends wanting a special item from Isla. She had a job ahead of her and was happy in her element. Me? I promised one pink Hortencia dress and one soccer jersey.

I lost count of how many stores we ventured into. One that sticks out is the shop that Laurie from a previous vacation spent a small fortune on dresses for her Granddaughters. Kodi fell in LOVE with a hand knitted purple halter. She had to have it. And she should have, the price was right and it looked awesome on her. She bought it straight off the mannequin. I asked the owner if she knew Tio the Rib man who was located across from Captain Tony. Tio means Uncle and how would I know one of her relatives? She didn’t understand me and I didn’t understand her. What I did understand was I was hungry and anxious to get some Sunday Ribs before they sold out. Kodi agreed and we headed back to the golf cart. How the heck did we walk fifty miles from our cart? We had to backtrack and found the Heap as we left it. Took a moment to get that piece of work to function – blocked the road for a minute – had a cab driver lift his hands in disgust (there’s our first rude-ness), I lifted back, coaxed the cart and off we went.

Now how can a rib shop move since our last visit? It didn’t but with all the cars, trucks, hummers in the way, I had a time finding it. Plus it didn’t help that a lot of the streets have now become one way’s. Will we go round in circles (sing along!) – yes we did, twice before I found the correct street and got trapped behind a Ford Truck unloading two guys. We had to wait for the guys to finish their conversations street side. If I’d had a horn on this Heap, it would have been singing. Finally the truck moved an inch, I drove around it and tried to park next to Tio’s place. But a guy on a moto said I couldn’t park there so I inched around two parked cars, one golf cart and found a spot a foot from the main drag. Parked. Braked. Locked. We walked to Tio’s and I closed my eyes and thought of Bob. He gets a kick out of this place. Rib juice all over his beard, hands and elbows. I’ll have a bite in your honor Bob. Kodi treats this time as we order. One rib order for me with bone, one order without bone for Kodi. Kodi was amazed at the place. Hole in the wall literally with a giant grill, coolers filled with slaw, tortillas, salsas. Time stood still as we watched the owners do their magic. Whack-whack-whack through the bones of my order. Chop – chop – chop for Kodi’s. Bags of this that and some of that went into the Styrofoam containers. We wouldn’t know for sure what all we ended up with until we found a place to eat. Tio’s doesn’t sell drinks so we took our loot to the mini-super on the corner where we parked (across from a dive shop and four doors back from Captain Tony’s). We got two Cristal Red sodas and hopped on The Heap. Son of a bitch wouldn't move. I don’t curse as a rule but razzle-frazzle I was getting fired up. This golf cart was gonna get us killed or the owner was gonna die a slow painful death with my rib bones. We decided to leave the cart where it was and walk across the street and dine al fresco near the beach. We found a spot in the middle of the sidewalk. The locals were out having their usual Sunday on the beach. This is about the only time you see the locals out on the beach. They don’t go to North Beach, but hang out across from Posadas all the way down to Aluxes’.

Here’s my order – hey there’s a slice of baked potato in there. That’s new.

Here's Kodi's.

We were quiet for the first few minutes. Suck, slurp, chew and make those walking by us wonder “Where did they get that tasty looking meal”? Ribs, roasted onion, tangy slaw, potato slice, tortillas, some fiery brown salsa, lime wedges, two forks and napkins. Oh happy, happy day!!

We took our sweet time eating. We people watched, commenting on the sunburns, who was day-tripping from Cancun, who was an ex-pat, why is she wearing that and how did he end up with her. You know, the usual chit chat. There were quite a few senior citizens out today. Kodi has a fondness for the Seniors so we took photos. This first couple was so cute. They saw a friend of their, chatted a while then headed towards the water for a swim. I hope Bob and I are able to continue coming here and I hope we look as lively as these two.


The next couple was happy enough but I will shoot Bob if he dares wear socks and sandals around me. As long as the boobs don’t touch my knees it’s swimwear all the way.


Belching our satisfaction we continue our people watching. I explain to Kodi that the locals come to town on Sundays in full force, hence all the vendors with ice cream, drinks, Bimbo Dogs and Hambugesas. You won’t see them frequent the tourist eateries on Hidalgo or Jax’s and Elements of the Island but they do come to places that serve the catch of the day like Mininos and Lo Lo Lorena’s. In my opinion, why would they when there are great launcherias and taco shops in the colonias.

Oh there’s that gleam in Kodi’s eyes again. Pointing the imaginary clock to eleven o’clock, there are dresses for sale 100 pesos. She’s off and running leaving a belch in her wake. I take to looking around again and check out some dudes hanging around a makeshift shack prepping the catch of the day.

People are enjoying the afternoon, Kodi’s bartering and I am surprised to see an older handsome African American couple enjoying an ice cream. The reason I distinguish their nationality is there aren't many blacks vacationing here. And with my coloring and hair, I could be an islander...of sorts. We make eye contact, nod and they come over to chat. “Welcome to my island!” is my greeting to them. “Oh you live here?” the woman asked. “Whenever I can!” I reply. To that the husband chuckles merrily. Seems they discovered this island over twenty years ago and fell in love with the quiet fishing village Isla Mujeres once was. They haven’t been back in over nine years and decided they still like the island despite the growth. The woman whose name I did not get said she was planning a “Big Girls Trip” with her sisters and close friends next year “while our feet can still dance to a beat”. I had to chuckle then. I told them I was here for my second Girls Trip, one of the posse was shopping just that way – pointing west – and that the other two arrive tomorrow. I extended the invitation that if they were on the south end, come by the Shell House for cocktails and a tour.

“Cathey, give me an American twenty!” Kodi came back miffed. Seems the saleslady wanted Kodi to pay more than what was on her hand made sign. Kodi fixed her little red wagon by giving her American money for two dresses, one black, one white. Technically the woman made a profit given American money to exchange but lost one hell of a shopper. Not a good trade at all.

Time was getting away from us. We still had to go to the grocery store and do more sightseeing. Off to the golf cart. Sigh. HEAVY sigh. We throw away our trash like good little tourists, look three ways before we cross the street and get prepared for takeoff.

The Heap started fine, it just wouldn’t move. I've got my foot going through the floor like Fred Flintstone and the thing won’t move. One of the local men saw the trouble we were having, reached down next to my left leg (hey- I don’t know you like that – yet!) and pressed the choke button under my leg. Jim didn’t show me the choke button. I’m gonna choke him when we get back to the house today. The choke got us going – right in front of the Ford truck that had blocked traffic earlier. So he had to wait cuz the Heap stalled. I took a deep breath, turned it off. Put it in neutral and started it again. Slowly put it in forward, barely pressed the gas and we lurched into oncoming traffic on the main road ONLY TO STALL HALFWAY ACROSS THE STREET. Say a prayer Kodi cuz we are about to get creamed by that moto and two cabs!! How frigging embarrassing is this? Looking all cute driving a piece of crap. Seems everyone was looking at us, tourists, locals, the Devil. So I do the only three things I could think of. I give a Miss America wave to those looking at us, rock back and forth trying to will this thing to start and laugh like a maniac. Kodi was on her own – besides, the cars and motos would strike her first!! Sorry honey!. Another local man crosses the street – kinda good looking at that – and pushes the choke button to no avail, though my left leg was all a quiver. He pushed us out of both lanes into an available parking spot in front of Brisas del Caribe. I shook his hand, thanked him, got the giggles with Kodi. We are so gonna kill Jim when we get home. He can have this golf cart back. Hence the beginning of the new name The Heap O’ Shit. Crossing fingers and pleading with Jesus, please let this thing start, please let us not have to brake for anything or anyone, help us make it back to the Shell. Thank you Jesus for hearing the selfish prayer I just uttered. The golf cart started, I babied the pedal and we were on our way home –– I kept that thing floored so it wouldn’t stall, the cart backfired so loudly, you thought someone fired a gun! What next? I kept that thing floored so it wouldn’t stall, almost lost Kodi as I took topes at full speed, nearly flipped us as I made a desperate left turn in front of oncoming cabs. I’d be a great contestant on that TV show – The Worst Driver or whatever it’s called. I was concentrating on not stopping that I didn’t enjoy the coast road, the sunshine, the ocean breeze or breathing for that matter. Up ahead looms the Shell House. Jim is close to death.

I NEED A SHOT of tequila. We have none, didn’t want to chance going to the grocery store and stalling again. Instead I drink two glasses of water – Bob would be so proud of me. I rarely touch the stuff. I get my cell and call Raquel and tell her our issues with the cart. She places a call to Jim he tells her he’ll be over in 15 minutes. Isla time remember. It’s almost TWO HOURS before he showed up. I can only drink so much water in that amount of time. You’re cutting into OUR vacation Mister Man!! I put a call in to Apache to see if we could get the golf cart earlier. Went to voice mail.

I wasn't about to put on a false face when Jim showed up. I contained 80% of my anger but let him know under no circumstances would we be put in this position. We would pay him for the day and be done with it. Seeing he was dealing with The Devil’s Cousin, he offered this: he would take us into town and get us a golf cart for 24 hours. I made him stress if it was his dime or ours. Do I need to tell you the answer to that? Off we go, me in the back cuz if I sat next to him my fist would be upside his head every few feet. If it were just me, I could handle it, but I brought a Newbie to the island and we are expecting two more tomorrow. How would it look to be in a crappy golf cart for the next few days? Not a great first impression.

The Heap started and ran just fine for Jim. Why not? He knows the tricks of it – share dude, share. The trick is to barely touch the gas pedal.We tried to tell him the carts stalls, spits, backfires, hitches, does everything but run correctly. He didn’t like hearing that – like I cared right now. Since I am renting from Apache for the rest of the week, he heads toward Playa Indio’s by way of a side road. Since I was in back, he floored that thing and took every bump intentionally. That’s okay. I don’t have a set of balls to worry about. No wonder the Heap won’t work – it sputtered, backfired and blew out green smoke. “See? I told you something is wrong.” Kodi tells him. Kodi suggested the fuel line might be the problem – he shot her a look that was lethal but played it off as if sweat were in his eyes. Jim is heavy in denial. At least we know how to get to Playa Indio. No one home. Hmmm. Is this a sign? Naw.

We enter town where Jim goes to his mechanic (near the Naval Base) on the main drag and says in Spanish that he (the mechanic) just lost him $120. So there was trouble with the golf cart before we got it. Be honest with us man, don’t blame your mechanic who looked at him like he was a walking dung beetle. We talk to Gomar’s, they were out. Talk with Ciros – they were out - the last place Ciros II said if we come back around 5PM we could have a six passenger cart for $65US. We don’t need no stinking six seater and we’re not paying that amount. And we would have to wait almost an hour and a half for that. No way – already lost two hours Amigo. So Jim assures us the Heap will run if he drives it a while and proceeds to show us where the grocery store in La Gloria is and the good cheap eateries are. Trying to get on my good side. Don’t have one at the moment. I asked him to take us by the Cuban restaurant El Varadero de Oscar over in Lagoon Makax. Easy enough to find. They don’t open until six today. They have the best Mojito on the island. Jackie would love those…it’s her favorite drink and we should try their Pork Chunks. Alright then. Jim points out that folks sitting in front of their house will sell food to you if you see they have big pots on the burners. I like that idea. I asked another question, does the island turn their clocks forward like we do in the states? He was clueless about that. For someone who is spending his 31st winter on the island, you’d think that would crop up. We asked the first people we saw once we left El Varadero de Oscar. A young couple on a moto. We asked in Spanish and English. No clue. Guess they don’t celebrate. I will ask Raquel when I see her next. Kodi and I put our watches back to Isla time, gained that hour back and it cheered us up an iota.

I take over the golf cart with Jim as shotgun. Thank God I didn’t have a shotgun at the time….still feeling kinda pissy. The cart worked, still missed a beat here and there. Went through La Gloria, yeah I know my way around, saw the new Supermarket – it’s great not having to go downtown every time. Hey, there’s a mini- carnival going on. That’s a permanent fixture now, kind of like the new hospital going up and the new gi-normous palapa at the Mundaca Zoo. We make it back to the house, ready to continue our vacation. Jim walks home, guess he didn’t want that bag of crap on his porch after all. He said if we need him, he’s a thousand yards away, but which house dude. He smiles and walks off. I’m starting to like him less and less. I holler to him, if this cart gives us trouble tomorrow the deal is off. He gives a half ass, kiss my ass wave and he’s gone. I let him go. I know I won’t look good in a Mexican prison uniform.

Finally. It’s about 4PM – evening on it’s way and the cupboard is bare. We refresh our thoughts and gear up for a trip to the new supermarket. Nothing to declare going to the market. Cart worked fine. Maybe Jim put a spell on it. We go in the market after putting the wooden block under the rear tire, I was on a hill. We get a super cool cart and go shopping. Is every female under 40 pregnant here in La Gloria? I swear I spotted fifteen “bellies” in the store. our list, those famous tortilla chips in the red bag, Sol for Kodi, Tequila (Hornitos was all they had) for me, crema & sugar for our coffee (we brought Folgers from home), bread and butter for breakfast, sunscreen that Kodi paid $18 US for a tiny bottle - YOW! Autan bug repellant (those critters seem to seek me out) baby food prunes to keep the bowels moving if the coffee fails, lunchmeat and cheese, cuz you gotta have something on your stomach when doing some serious drinking, cookies just because, limes cuz that’s a fact, Mango Juice and Manzanita Sol Apple Soda for my famous Manzango Cocktails and whatever else struck the fancy. We split the basket and cost. $50US each. DAMN tequila!! No worries. We had stuff for the week it seemed. We didn’t think how to get this stuff home with us sitting in the front and no cubby holes in the back for storage. So we jammed everything up front with us and headed home. I had taken those bungee cords off earlier.

Time for a serious cocktail and cigarettes. We relaxed in the house, by the pool, back in the house for a while. Drinking and talking about the wonderful adventure we had today with That Heap O Shit golf cart. We wouldn’t have changed a thing other than renting from someone else.

Hey, you wanna catch a sunset? We’d better get going, the sunsets around, what, seven? It’s only six. We take our time getting ready and by the time we made it to North Beach we had missed the sun setting but saw the remnants of what must have been a doosey.


By now we’re wondering what to do and for the life of me I can’t recall at the moment what transpired next. All I can remember is we got back home had more cocktails and said that golf cart is guaranteed to breakdown on Monday. I think we downloaded pictures and called it a night around one or two. All in all it was an Adventurous First Full Day on Isla Mujeres.

I leave you with my trolls Senorita Sol and Senor Hornito. They are getting married this week. Gotta plan a party and invite a few guests. I may be a bit tipsy but the mind is as warped as it ever was.


4 comments:

  1. My Darling Catz I have refilled my wine glass 3 times and I'm still laughing to hard to type. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great report, Catz--the rib guy's name is Tino. He does a great job with those ribs--he also cooks the meal for our party after the Barracuda Bash--yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to remember Tino's name - too many tequilas!! Does he cater as a favor to people or can we hire him?

    The next report will be about our Monday - already entitled it "Double Crossed" Gonna take me at least a day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving your report as always Catz! Shell house & baby shell, beautiful....Catz in the Hortencia dress, beautiful(I have several).... looking forward to more adventures!

    ReplyDelete