Fish and Cheeps

Aye Aye Captain

The Eight Syllables

Friday, April 2, 2010

So this is why you grin like a Lunatic

OH, THIS POST GOES BEFORE THE MERMAID'S WELCOME..GO FIGURE BLOGGING!!


“So this is why you grin like a Lunatic….”
Familiar steps to the Tourist side of the holding pen to board the ferry to my beloved. Kodi asks why we are one side and the locals on the other. I reply it is their island, we are only guests. Nuff said.
We talk with a family in front of us. I love their daughters PEACE SIGN carry-on bag. Sam Moon is where they purchased it years ago – I gotta get one like it. Would save so much trouble. This family if from Ohio, bringing their son and daughter for the first time. They have been here twice before. You could see the love in their eyes as they talked of Isla Mujeres. They are staying at Element s of the Island. We told them if they are near the Shell House come by for a visit. We won’t be at the Shell House until tomorrow morning. For tonight we crash at Casa El Pio.
We make our way to the top of the ferry where anticipation is eating me alive. Kodi is snapping anything that moves with her camera. I have so many photos of this dock and Isla, whatever should I take photos of? The back of Kodi’s head for one.

The boat is in motion and my spirit soars – I cannot see my precious blue water but gaze intently at the blue night lights shining at the bottom of the ferry then concentrate on the numerous twinkling lights on the shores of Isla. What awaits me, what awaits my Newbie friends? Will they love or hate this island? If they hate it I’ll just move the stick stuck up their butt thirty degrees to the left. Time will tell.
Kodi has shifted to relaxed mode and I’m way ahead of her on that. Ten minutes and we will be where my heart lingers. I can hear the song Canta Corazon (Alejandro Fernandez) in my mind as it was the last song I heard leaving this island last year.
That eye sore of a frog (the Official Store) looms ahead across the dock but I focus on the sounds of the island. Music to my ears.
I grab Kodi into a gigantic hug and wish her a “Happy Vaca”. Let the Adventure begin.
We stroll off the ferry and I lead us towards Nicolas Bravos street (Gomar’s corner) and will make a right (Bank a U)on Hidalgo that leads to Casa el Pio – you did know that Hidalgo continues past the plaza right?
We make a right turn past the red & white striped ice cream, agua fresco store Michuachan (?)
Kodi is looking into the front window of the corner house – hey girl, people live there – my bad, but it’s cute in there!!
Twenty steps up to the blue doors of Casa El Pio (which means chirp). Margaret should be waiting up for us as I e-mailed her that we would arrive between 9:30 & 10:30PM
I’m expecting some old thang to greet us at the door. Was I pleasantly surprised to see a blonde Bette Midler in glasses extending her hand in greeting. “You must be Catz!” “That I am. And this is my Bud Kodi. “ We shake hands and follow Margaret to the third blue door which is the gate leading to the rooms of Casa el Pio. Bob and I walked by here last summer looking for Casa Sirena that Tim and Jo rave about, liked the logo of Casa el Pio & decided we’d like to give this place a try. So here goes.
Margaret leads us through the gate into a small lush court yard with a wading pool. She is talking but I have tuned into the sound of the ocean on the other side of the enclosed white walls. With each step towards our room, I feel the tension of life leaving my bones as bliss seeps in. Up the narrow stairs to the second floor, I can see in the distance the white tips of waves crashing into the sea wall. My eyes glaze over, my lips part to inhale the sea, the booty starts to shimmy of its own accord ,then I start doing my Happy Dance. “So that is why you grin like a Lunatic,” Kodi says. Yes and you’ll be just as crazy as I am by morning.

As we step inside, we are given two keys to Room Three,

I fill out necessary forms and we are given the tour. We have a view of the ocean from the front door and bedside window.

The window behind the bed frames the Church Statue of Mother Mary in the Square. The bed is comfortable and has upon it a cute towel display “WITH REAL FLOWERS!” Kodi exclaims. The delight on her face was priceless. She hasn’t glimpsed the island yet. If a towel can send her to the moon, what will the island do to her?

The main living space comprises of two comfortable low slung chairs, one holds a netlike bag with two towels for the beach – shame we won’t be using them but the gesture is welcomed. There’s a round table with a bowl of limes (freshly washed and ready for usage Margaret tells us!)The kitch, not quite a kitchenette has a coffeemaker WITH coffee, creamer, sugar, spoons, cups and a knife (for the limes), mini fridge, safety deposit box, a useful little closet. Margaret show us how to use the cutest clothesline that can be strung from one corner to the next – How quirky is that? LOVE IT!!

The bathroom is compact and well stocked, big fluffy towels - - is that Chocolate Shampoo? Kodi claims it as hers. I’m foaming over the Naranja (orange) scented soap. {And I didn't clean up these next photos before posting - so much for the soap.


One step down from the bathroom - a giant mirror leaning on the wall near the bed (it’s attached).



This room is perfect for us. Just large enough to spread out comfortably without feeling we are wasting space.


Margaret lets us know that being Sunday the next day, we don’t have to feel so rushed to check out. Instructions on how to lock the front gate after we leave - we can leave a tip in this envelope for the housekeeper if we wish and place on the pillows(10-30 pesos is the norm), etc. Oh but if she only knew what lodgings awaited us on Sunday!! Kodi & I give each other that Lesbian Wink (like I know what that is but wanted to know if you’re really reading this!!) Really, we smiled knowingly at each other and said we’d be out between nine and eleven.

Margaret wishes us a pleasant night and lets us know that there are clubs and bars still open – it’s only 10:30PM. We can hear the bass thumping from the Salsa Bar next to Roca Mar –don’t feel like dancing right now but could go for something to whet the whistle are curb the appetite.

We touch this and that in the room, take a photo here and there outside – too dark to really get a good shot of anything on the Malacon Wall, but do notice lovers leisurely strolling and can hear that the basketball game we passed on our way here is still in full force. Place a call to Aelias to let him know we’re here and he’s not. He tells me I can be brutal sometimes. That-a -boy!

What’s say we head down Hidalgo and see where the island takes us. Kewl beans. We freshen up, grab some cash and stow the rest, hitch on camera and apply a little lip gloss. Ready or not here come - - Four of the Eight Syllables.
Before we head out in search of our first Isla adventure, I just had to take a photo just like their advertisement.


Cruising slowly through the courtyard of el Pio we hang a right (Bust A U) outside those colorful blue doors. We head towards the basketball game. Women playing. They aren’t as entertaining as the Men but we watched for a while. Kodi was all eyes. Town square, Municipal Building where the Gringos go for being bad - let’s stay clear of that for tonight. Chuckle. Up Hidalgo where the shouts of “Half price for you tonight only” and” Come see my store” greet us. Plenty of time to shop but not tonight.

I can hear music ahead – is that coming from Miguels? You bet – we head for his place and are greeted with a warm smile from a new waiter – Juan. We sit towards the front and oogle at the walls that have now been covered with greetings, phrases and stuff from guests. You know we had to add our two cents:


This says it all - once I get the photos posted you'll know what I mean...

We are sooooooo here it’s hard to believe. All that planning and reality just sinks in. Speaking of sinking in, I ordered one of Miguel’s famous Pomegranate Margaritas and an order of Pork Tacos. Kodi’s been dying for an ice cold Sol beer. As we are waiting for our order – Miguel and I make eye contact – Bubbly and delightful as he is, he swoops in to give me a giant hug and kiss on the hand. I introduce Kodi who also receives a Miguel greeting. The drinks arrive, Miguel departs to greet another customer and we toast to Isla Mujeres, Island of Women – may the panties come off and forever wave in the breeze!! Hey, that’s the jet lag talking not the drinks! Speaking of panties, there are quite a few panties and bras dangling from light fixtures near the dance floor of Miguel’s. Dare we add to the group? Naw, we’ve got other plans with our panties….that won’t be told until later in the week!!

Checking out the three dudes watching the boxing match on the giant white sheet that serves as a TV screen. When on Isla, improvise. Had to make a toast to the Big Screen TV. Clink-clink, chug-a lug!!
Folks are cruising in and out of the bar – Hola and Adios – where ya going and what are ya watching – need another beer and my these tacos are delicious. We spend a happy hour and some soaking up the atmosphere. Kodi asks about Miguel – I tell her where his first place used to be on Hidalgo, how he had the first St. Patty’s Day Bash and hope he throws another in a few days (which he did and that will be told later as well). Kodi has another beer, we chit-chat, smoke and find ourselves in the “VaCa “mode.
We opt out for round three of drinks as we want to put our toes in the sand on North Beach. “ Is it safe to do that at this time of night?” Kodi asks. But of course my Sweet, of course. So we settle our tab , leave Juan a generous tip and an even bigger hug and head towards North Beach.
Hidalgo isn’t as lively now as it is in the summer but Faynes, Bamboo, The She Bar and Sancochos are doing a bit of business. We’ll have to leave some fundage at each of these places me thinks. Strolling past the cemetery and Ixchel Condos. I silently recall past memories down this street as Kodi creates new ones. Walking together but in different worlds.

How the sea calls to me
Sit on my shores and I will tell to thee
The love divine I have for you
If you buy me a beer or maybe two.
Miguel’s Margaritas are talking to me now!!

We take off our shoes and walk through that cool white sand and plop unceremoniously on the shores not too far from Tarzan’s. I pull out my other travel companions soon to be christened Senorita Sol and Senor Hornito. Time has no meaning right now, living in the moment, becoming a moment.
In the silence of the night we listen to the waves, suck on the air that is tinged with salt and just, be.
I don’t know about Kodi but if I had a blanket (not a hammer) I could sleep right here on Isla’s shores. Kodi lets out a yawn of understanding and we take our leave of our first ocean kiss.– I know a shortcut but ain’t gonna share it so we stroll feet in the surf around Sunset Grill, Sergio’s and the private beach Aluxes has deprived the island of….Oh did I just show some attitude? I knew that beach before the fancy smancy chairs and lighting. My trolls of four years ago had their wedding rehearsal there. Memories of my twisted mind at work again. We continue our stroll down the main drag of town in front of Jax, oh look – Posada had a facelift…we thought of having a Bimbo Dog but at this late hour, those dogs looked like they could use a nap too.

I make the familiar turn in front of Gomar’s Golf Cart Rentals and Kodi surprisingly knows where she’s at. You go girl!! While strolling we see young folks in front of I guess you would call it a Private Club for their age group. I’m concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other when Kodi hollers – “DID YOU SEE THAT?” “Hell, I wish I had with that cry of delight!! Apparently she saw someone’s ass through the window (yes you heard me right). She said he was pulling up his pants after bending over something. Now don’t let my mind wander as it does on occasion. But we did rubberneck every time we passed this establishment.

1AM - - HOLY SMOKES – We just lost an hour. Dagnabbit time change – oh well. Whatcha gonna do? I reset my watch, thought of changing the clocks in our room and decided not. Do they even change their time here? Something to ponder tomorrow but for now I must answer the call of that comfortable bed and locate my pajamas. Still hear the ocean waves making music with the bar around the corner (Pena’s was once the name).

Don’t ask me about the next couple of hours. I took my glasses off and couldn’t see my dreams. Bummer.

My mind shouts SUNRISE – my body responds by lifting my body from the waist up into an upright position. Pounce for the glasses and the camera, throw back the shades and melt.
My first Isla sunrise this trip –magical. Like every trip. Magical.

Kodi grabs her camera and heads out the door – I let her be in the moment as I remembered my first sunrise. No words were spoken for a while. Too bad the sunrise doesn’t last longer, it makes on feel alive somehow.

Boy that moon is bright - oh yeah, that's the sun. Washed out pics but there ya go. View from our balcony - left side - the Church, front door turn right, courtyard and beyond...


Good Morning el Pio!

Kodi said it just ‘write’ with her last sentence…”Can’t wait to see what the next 7 days has to offer…”

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if you got to see my comment on Bob's board before it went bye-bye...
    You moved into Room 3 the same day we moved out. Isn't that a sweet little place? I chose that room because of the view. I've got to see that sunrise. I woke up every morning at the exact same time and never got a good one. Except for the last morning when I slept in and missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nancy, Welcome to my world!
    Missed your last entry on Bob's board and missed you again in Room 3. Loved that room - wish we could have stayed there a bit longer but....
    Those sunrises can be tricky - it amazes me i never get up for one in the states - guess I need watta!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to find your blog. My daughter and I are also huge fans of Octavio Campo's artwork. Haven't yet decided on new false ID, so will just sign off as "demented editor."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Hello Demented One!! Welcome and enjoy - posting more this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Margaret a doll?!

    ReplyDelete