Fish and Cheeps

Aye Aye Captain

The Eight Syllables

Monday, June 7, 2010

Wake up - It's Toooos-day!

Early Tuesday Morning

Daylight on the horizon:

“Which ever so clever companion of mine put a roll of toilet paper in my mouth?” That’s what I thought in my head as I rolled out of bed. My mouth was suffering the pains of serious drinking the night before. My tooth brush and I immediately became reacquainted. I missed the sunrise. It wouldn’t have been so pretty to these blurry eyes this morning anyway. I rummage through my luggage for something comfortable to wear. It’s Tuesday so that means I shall sashay around in my Hortencia Blue Outfit today. (Yes I color coordinated my outfits for this trip).

Not a peep coming from Kodi sleeping in her dead as a doornail position. I do see the covers rising and falling. She survived the night as well.

Snores and deep breathing coming from Nady & Jackie’s room. They’re oaky. I dread the headache Jackie will have this morning. Mojitos are nice but the morning after 68 ounces will be murderous.

Pot of coffee brewing while I watch the blackbird taking a bath in the swimming pool. That water looks refreshing - so I join the bird with my feet in the water and marvel that we didn’t get smooshed last night in that golf cart. That thought prompted me to text Apache about a golf cart for the day, honestly for the rest of the week. I have no clue when THAT JIM is coming to pick up The Heap and I pray for his soul that I am not the one to answer the front door if and when he arrives. Coffee mug in hand, Apache notified and our Mother Angel Raquel is calling to me from the fence. She has informed THAT JIM of our troubles last night and called him again this morning. He said he would be by around 10AM to correct the problem. Its seven now, like I want to wait around for him – oh my right bicuspid for a machete! Dude only lives a thousand yards to the right of us, what’s his damage? Rachel said she would call a cab for us if Jim did not arrive by 10. I told her if I didn’t hear from Apache by 9:30 to snag a cab for us. Talk about a wonderful woman. She truly was watching out for us. It’s that Mujeres Mojo in action.

Eight-ish:

Well, hello Sleepyhead!! Kodi arrives tussle-headed, blurry eyed and aimed for that first cup of coffee and smoke. We chatted a bit about our “evening” and pondered the thought of calling Craig to spend the day with him. We looked at the clock – it’s after eight so we decided it best to hang at the beach today – allow our other guests to fully recover.

Well, rattle my chains and lose the keys, who is that calling my name from the front entry?

Hola Apache – Hola Catz – Hola Kodi. Heard you had some trouble last night.

That was putting it mildly – we had a wonderful dinner and cocktails at Playa Lancheros – it was the ride from there that was the makings of our harrowing adventure - - all the while Apache was grinning and laughing and running his fingers through his wild mane of hair. We told him the two Newbies were upstairs in straightjackets – scared them out of their wits. He laughed hard enough to warrant the revealing of those deep island eyes, laced with tears of laughter. Kodi and I could laugh about it now and we did. The three of us standing there laughing, where’s my camera?







At that, I could hear movement from upstairs. Wonder if they could sense a man in the house with us? Seizing the opportunity, Kodi and I took photos with Apache who stated that we were too tall for him.


As if on cue, Nady comes down the stairs – Apache sees her and says, “That’s more my size!” You go girl!! We introduced the two and snagged their photo as well to which Apache comments, “See? A perfect fit!” Nady is blushing and a gushing!! Yeah, if he’s single, we know where she’s spending 75% of her vacation!

Where’s Jackie? Nady gave us a look and said – she’s gonna be a while. Mojito vs. Jackie. And the winner is…………..Mojitooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Apache said he’ll have to check and see if there is a golf cart for us and would call me in thirty minutes, Island Time that is – told him of Jim coming to get his cart when the moon turns blue –Apache says to that he’ll get back with me in twenty, quotes $40 a day, waves and up,up and away he goes. We three are walking on jelly legs for the next few minutes.

Nady: Damn that man is fine!! If all Isla men look like that I may never leave!

Kodi: Fine? That man is a god!!

Catz: Break me off a piece of that!!

Jackie: Snoring

9:35 – Busy signal on Raquel’s phone. Maybe she’s calling Jim or the cab.

9:45-ish – Jim is non-existent.

I hear a honk out front. Not gonna waste brain cells thinking it could possibly be Jim.

It’s a red cab. Raquel is already out front with him, handing over pesos.

Oh crap – there’s a young dude pulling up in a golf cart with an Indian on the side! Apache came through!! Guess we aren’t damsels in distress anymore!

Catz: Raquel? Raquel? We won’t need the cab – Apaches just delivered a golf cart! Let me pay the driver for his time.

Raquel: No problema. (Dismisses the cab after conversing in Spanish)

The Cabbie: Gracias Senorita, Senora Raquel – Any time!!

Raquel must have paid him a big tip cuz he was grinning like he stole something!!

The Golf Cart Dude: Apache Send to Gato. (then stares off into space)

Catz: Gato – that’s me. Let me drive you back.

Golf Cart Dude: No Gracias. (He hops off the cart and starts walking north)

Catz: WAIT!! Do I pay you or Apache?

Golf Cart Dude: Apache. (He keeps walking, I know how far he has to walk and my feet hurt for him already)

I give Raquel hugs, praise and thanks for all she has done for us this morning. She is gracious in saying it is not a problem, happy to assist such beautiful ladies. Can you say GUSH!! I almost broke her ribs with that last hug. Raquel said for us to leave Jim’s cart where it was. I handed her the keys to the Heap and $50 to give to Jim. Even though The Heap left us in the lurch, I still pay what we contracted for.

I walk back to the house where Kodi and Nady are dying to hear about what just transpired. Are we lucky or what? Nady said this ain’t gonna be a boring vacation! Amen to that sister. We down a second pot of coffee in the shade of the front porch as Kodi takes a morning swim. I'm making plans for the day with Nady and it occurs to us that somebody really should wake up Jackie!

3 comments:

  1. Hubba hubba! Did you contact Apache in advance for the cart, or just wait until you were on Isla? Catz, can't wait for more of your Isla adventures! Your blog is fabulous! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting us in on the girl talk! Love it. Divorced Eggs are awesome and I have Steve at Casa Sirena's recipe for them in the cookbook!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a cutie! I love your blue dress, and divorced eggs have two colors of salsa on top of them; therefore, they look divided (divorced).

    ReplyDelete