Fish and Cheeps

Aye Aye Captain

The Eight Syllables

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The EF Word

F

Friday.

The letter “F” sums up the closing of our week on Isla Mujeres. You insert the word.



I say: A Friggin’ Awesome Final Fabulous Full Day of Fun.


F - Finally waking up after another night of working the neck muscles slinging back tequila shots.

F - Forgetting she had a blast today will be the epic adventure of Guacamaca (Nady).

- - -To this day Nady doesn’t remember- - -

F - Fish and Frolicking

F - Forgetting to eat

F - Fantastic Surprise

F - FRIENDS

You know the drill by now – coffee made, girls struggling out of sheets heading for the rude awakening of a cold blast of water from the showerheads. Amazing none of us is sad that this is our last full day on the island. We’re gonna make the magic happen. Even if we are getting a late start of 10 A.M.

But first a word from our sponsor…Bacardi

To make a memory you will cherish always

start your day with a half dozen refreshing drinks of Pineapple and Rum.

Yum.

Side effects may include nausea, forgetfulness, repeating one’s self (over and over and over), outbursts of hilarity, somber moments, out of focus photos, becoming courageous in fathoms of ocean blue and discovering JUST HOW FINE Chalo is.

{That’s why The Catz drinks Tequila.}

We return you back to your program The “EF Word.

And who is this lovely little one coming to visit us again? Ixchel, the housekeeper’s six year old daughter. Kodi and decided upon meeting her a few days back, to shower her with gifts before we left the island. Today was her lucky day. Chalkboards, neon colored socks and hair bows and the ultimate gift, Kodi’s doll (Ixchel named him after her brother Giovanni). TONS of kisses and hugs. Think her Mom would be mad if we snuck her back to the States? We knew that was a pipe dream so we loved on her a bit longer and left various gifts for her Mom of nail polish, Bath & Body Works goodies, clothes and jewelry…and abundant amounts of cash. We’re no pikers!





Nady is up, loving that Mexican Cream in her coffee. She’s heading out to take a long awaited swim in the pool out front. We all have been walking by it – tossing longing looks at it – saying “we’ll get to it, we’ll get to it”.

God only knows what Kodi and Jackie are doing. Vacation waits for no woman so Nady and I chat about life, the island, hoping the weather holds today and the fate of going home tomorrow. Ewww – tomorrow.
Today was the day. The pool is only six and a half feet deep – two feet too deep for me so I sit on the steps and take shots of Nady practicing her back flips.


The Black Bird I nick-named Pokeeto Pio who always took his morning bath on the pool steps.


I also noticed the habits of Iggy Iguana who suns himself near the hot tub or perched on the uppermost part of the wall dividing the Shell House from the neighbors on the left.

Whoops - double pix - stoopid uploading!!





Let’s talk about the weather – which comes to the Fantastic Surprise. Months before we left for Isla, I made arrangements to have Apache (what tasty piece of eye candy he is) take us all on a tour around Isla on his boat with snorkeling and possibly fishing after. I knew Jackie wanted to snorkel somewhere – we’d talked about going to Garaffon Castillo for $4 a piece - she never imagined being in the middle of the ocean. The price was $50 per person for four to six hours – depending on the weather. Huh? Yeah, weather plays a part…do you wanna spend your time chumming the fish or enjoying the sights? We were to do this on Wednesday – which turned out to be overcast and too windy. I trusted his judgment. We opted for Thursday. Once again too windy – we’re running out of days here. For better or worse, chumming or not, we were going today. All hail the Isla Mojo.


Everybody is up digesting coffee and the atmosphere. The ocean across the street is gorgeous. Makes me sorrowful because I know I am leaving soon. Love for this island does that to me. We will see tomorrow how many of my Newbie Sistas are true Islaholics. If you shed a tear on the ferry leaving Isla, you will return to your love. I cry every friggin’ time I leave, ‘except our trip in 2008 – which I will never write about.

I’m also thinking I need to assemble my courage, cross the street, walk three doors down and visit Big Jim and Carmita. Tomorrow. Yeah, tomorrow. For today – we play.


Thus begins the Forgetfulness of Nady. We each took a shot of rum, posing for the camera anyway – or did we swallow? You bet!



Robert the Groundskeeper from next door hears our frivolity and asks if he could join in. No need to ask, pull up a glass, um, chair and come on over. Robert starts making his deadly Pineapple Rum cocktails. Oh they are soooo good and highly addictive. I had a few sips of Nady’s, could detect the power of the Rum and stayed true to my Manzangos consisting of five counts each of tequila, mango juice and apple soda. Nady had nine TALL glasses of this concoction (she said it’s the heat that makes her drink!). Geez loo-eez, it dawns on me that we gotta get something more than chips in our tummies, pack our gear and head towards Playa Indios for our afternoon adventure. We are to meet Apache at 3 P.M. A rocking boat, empty stomach and liquored up to the eyeballs equal a sporting good time!! At least from the planet I’m from.




Double shot of Nady - that rum was working it's magic!
We spent a pleasant early afternoon shootin’ the breeze and drinking, eating chips and posing and drinking until 2 P.M.

As much as we hated to leave Robert and that ¼ full bottle of Bacardi, we hugged and kissed Robert and watched him shuffle sideways towards the house next door. Robert hails from Canada, Connecticut, Katmandu, somewhere that starts with a C or a K. At this point, what I remember is he can only stay on Isla for five months with his visa. He’s dreading his return trip home. I completely understand. He loves this island too.

Mad dash to pack some tortilla chips to lure the fish for snorkeling, cookies cuz that’s what was left as far as nourishment goes, camera, batteries, trolls, beer, two types of tequila, sunscreen, hats, towels, sanity. We’re good to go.




The rest of today’s adventure is not about The Catz. It’s about seeing my Isla Chicas Kodi, Nady and Jackie enjoying the moments of today. And to be honest I can’t wait to see who’s gonna pass out or chum the fish first!


5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos and writing Catz! We tried to get in touch with Apache to rent a golfcart this year by email and had no luck. Craig even went down to Playa Indios one morning and couldn't find anyone to talk to about a rental. Bet you're getting excited for March! It's kind of interesting that you had a bad trip in 2008. We did too. After our May trip that year, we really thought about not returning to Isla. The magic's definitely back now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, it was worth the wait and am looking forward to more!!!! Still waiting for the "rest of the story" on your trip with your son and hubby, last post I read on that trip was you and your son sneaking back into your hotel after a fun night out! You do have a way with words Catz!
    Karen in OH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mas!!!! Can't wait to see what happens on the boat after all those drinks. heh heh.

    I have to say, I visited Isla three times in 2008 and they were all great trips. Just sayin...2008 wasn't cursed or anything.

    I cry every time the evil ferry takes me away from my love. I had to tell the girls to just leave me alone and stop talking to me the other day on the ferry. I'm okay once I get to the airport, but that ferry ride is heart wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember after I came home from our first trip. I sat and looked at photos and repeatedly watched the video of the return ferry ride, listened to the singer who was performing that day, and cried and cried. I told Jana I must be going crazy and she said, "Honey, you're not crazy, you're an Islaholic!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, a great read Catz, gracias. Cant wait for more!!
    carl/debbie

    ReplyDelete